Monday, September 19, 2022

Beginning of the 2022 school year

 This year our school began the day after Labor Day Monday.


Week one of our morning bins starts off SUPER EASY- little teacher direction. Toys that most of them have seen before. Sometimes I get children that have never been in school or daycare. Some children I get have been in the child care center since they were six weeks old.  My classroom is located in a child care center.  My classroom during 4K runs like a public school classroom. Our 4K school is across town. With my classroom being located in the building, no bussing is required! :) 


These are our morning bins.  The numbers stay on the right and the names have Velcro on the left. 

The names move and the numbers stay.


We have run into a bit of a snafu-
I had an additional student join our class.
I have 4 sets of bins- one for each day of the week. 
So I have a bit of extra work each day- I have to add and remove items from his bin.



Week 1 of the morning bins are just the toys. In week two, I add the cards.
The children have had time to explore in week one.







At the end of the week, I take out these toys and their matching cards, and they go in our cube shelves.
The cube shelves hold our materials for 4K.
Most of the time, they belong to me, so even if the children stay in the room after I leave, 
they don't get to play with.
Fear not, there are still plenty of toys to play with around the room that we don't use during our 4K time.

At the beginning of the year, the cube shelf is pretty sparse.
One student said last year when we were using something new...

Child A asked if he could use something new to me the teacher.
Child B  "Did Ms. Jennifer teach you to use it?
Child A "no"
Child B "Then you can't use it then."
Although I agree with her, her tone was very harsh, but correct!




In one of the small groups we did the second week of school we read Pip the Pup and the crayon.

On one side of the paper, I have them try to write their names. they can just color whatever.
Then we flip over the page and we make things that Pip makes in the book.
I ask them what they remember that she made and we try to draw what she does.
I send the paper home that day.



Before we use a new supply or tool, we read a book 
Read more about Pip HERE.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment