Monday, February 10, 2020

Beginning a new unit

Beginning each of my units, we begin with a letter addressed to the class. The kids get to open the sealed envelope. Then I put them in a binder and the kids can read them anytime. I have one letter for each unit I teach.




The letters introduce the new theme and key vocabulary words. As I read the letter, I hold up the word cards.  Those word cards go into my writing area.


Shortly after that, we look at the new books for the theme. These are only some of the books we have in our classroom.  I have another




When I taught higher grades, where they could read, I would have them share a page of their favorite new book with the class. Now my students are 4 and 5 year olds, so we find our favorite page and they show the picture on that page to the class. My goal is to see that they see different books that they might not pick up and look at.


By having them share their favorite books, I am trying to have them start the conversation about books. Yes, they love to read the books that I read too, but a recommendation from a friend, is so amazing!



So far I have letters for:

  • All About Me
  • School/alpha
  • Fall
  • Monsters
  • Transportation
  • Thanksgiving
  • Nutrition- covers each food groups
  • gingerbread
  • Christmas non-religious
  • snow/polar/winter
  • space
  • weather/GH
  • friendship/love
  • teeth
  • Seuss
  • Leprechaun
  • Vet/pet- intros different pets
  • Rain Forest  layers and animals
  • Community Helpers- intros different ones
  • Spring
  • Insects- intros different insects
  • Zoo- intros different animals
  • Ocean- intros different animals
  • Dinos- intros different 
  • Apples




No comments:

Post a Comment